Tuesday, April 05, 2011

"SO LONG SELF..."


I did love my MDX but when I think of what we're trading
the word "sacrifice" doesn't even come to mind:)

YES that is a MINIVAN parked in my garage!
AND I LOVE IT:)

The first major step we've made in this adoption has been selling my car...I guess you can say "my dream car." I've never been a car person but if I could pick any car I would want to drive, I would probably pick my MDX. It was roomy but sporty, a sleek stylish SUV that drove like a fun car with every option available and our favorite part...it was MAROON! When we discovered our adoption expenses were probably going to be double our original estimate (because there would now be two children) the first thought that came to mind was...sell the Acura. We had a lot of equity in it and knew it would provide a significant chunk of our adoption expenses...well, enough to get us through the beginning phase anyway:) But that of course meant parting with one of my favorite possessions. We listed the car and researched various avenues to sell it. Within a week, we had a buyer. After a pretty smooth transaction we walked away with a nice "little" check and the reassurance we needed to keep moving forward. Someone commented that they couldn't believe the "sacrifice" we were making. I guess we never really thought of it that way because God has graciously brought us to a place where investing in people is more important than investing in things. The song "So Long Self" by MercyMe played in my head as I walked away from the MDX. It was a symbol of "the me", before God captured my heart for this radical adoption journey, moving aside so He could carry out His plan for our lives. But this is where God shows us His  sense of humor. I have always said I would never drive a minivan. But after shopping around and admiring my sweet friends' Odyssey my mind has opened quite a bit. Perspectives have a way of changing when possibly four children (three in carseats, one in a booster) are involved. I began to look at big SUV's and see the hassle of climbing to the back to buckle a carseat. I pictured Carsyn (as graceful as she is :) ) swinging that big door into the car parked next to us. I considered the average size garage in our home and wondered if I could park a large SUV inside and still walk around to unload all four children. Suddenly, a minivan seemed not only to be an economical option...it seemed like it would make life a little easier:) We shopped around, considered many options and ended up getting a great deal on a used Honda Odyssey. Is it sleek, sporty and fun to drive? No...but it is convenient, affordable and MY GIRLS LOVE IT!
Sara Kate playing in the new "toy!"
 I promise this van could be a babysitter. They would stay in the garage and play in the van for hours if we'd let them! And the best part...it's WHITE! (Go Bulldogs:) )  Really, the best part...it's brought us that much closer to being able to bring our babies home. I love this minivan not because of the convenience and extra funds it made available but because of what it represents to us....FAITH. We believe and trust that God is going to provide a way for us to bring home two little boys so strongly that we bought a minivan:)




No comments:

Post a Comment