Sunday, April 17, 2011

Licking the Bowl...


The birthday boy and Prince of the Polk castle!
The "homemade" Pillsbury cake!



















 
We've had quite a weekend celebrating Dustin's birthday! Times have definitely changed....the only guilt now associated with our "crazy parties" is the amount of calories we consumed:) (Thank you God for your mercy in our younger years!) Of course, even though we have grown so much in our spritiual walk since becoming "adults" we still have so far to go. I think it's a never ending process. The more we know, the more we realize we don't know.  Once God allows us to grasp one concept, we discover another we are totally confused by. This alone is enough to keep us constantly seeking Him and studying His Word, but I'm really beginning to understand how much I need God's direction when it comes to parenting....

Around the Polk house we have a birthday tradition. Everyone gets a homemade birthday cake on their birthday...and by homemade I mean from a box but cooked in our oven and decorated with love:) Yesterday, while Sara Kate was napping, Carsyn and I decided it was a perfect time to work on daddy's cake.  I measured out all of the ingredients and let Carsyn pour them in. She even cracked all three eggs into the bowl without having to fish out any of the shells...pretty impressive for a five year old! After putting the cake in the oven we began what naturally comes next...licking the bowl:) Now you would think after thirty years of cake batter, Dustin and I would just be nice and let the girls have it all. Absolutely NOT! There is just no substituion for some good yellow cake batter! We all still fight over the beaters, the bowl and the spoon:) Luckily this time, Sara Kate was asleep and Dustin wasn't around so Carsyn and I had it all to ourselves.  She grabbed one beater and I got the other. We started licking the outside of the beater, once they were all clear, we started on the inside. It was then that it hit me...I felt like I was looking in a mirror! She was following the exact same "licking routine" that I do. It was like a sunchronized event and I could see myself in her. I stopped to soak in the moment. Then I asked her, "Why do you do it like that?" As she continued licking she said, "Do what?" I replied, "Lick the outside of every prong before licking the inside." She casually said, "I don't know momma. I just always watch you do it that way." WOW! Without intending to teach her how to lick the beaters, I have instilled in her a very specific routine to follow. What else have I unintentionally taught my child? I am hopeful there have been a lot of great lessons I've unknowingly passed on, but I'm fearful there have been negative ones as well.


Mommy and Carsyn "licking" it up! :)
A few years back I realized (thanks to a great Beth Moore study, Daniel) that if we aren't living intentional lives for the Lord then we will be consumed by the world. As a couple, it's been sort of a theme for how we make decisions with our finances but honestly hasn't seeped into our parenting. Oh how much we have to learn! :) You would think being parents for a whole five years now we'd sort of have this thing figured out. (I do hope you can hear the sarcasm in my voice with this last sentence:)  Just when I think we are doing ok, God uses something (usually precious, silly Carsyn) to show me just like everything else in life, parenting is a never ending process that constantly changes and evolves. Please don't misunderstand me, we do teach scripture, Bible stories, and pray with our children. But this moment in our kitchen was a reminder that those times I unintentionally begin to let me faith settle I'm not only affecting my "walk" but my children see it too.  I know the only constant in this world is Christ. I must be intentional in sharing, modeling and exhibiting my faith to my daughters. The best way for this to happen...through my daily life with a heart consumed for Him.

There is a song that perfectly captures my intentions for life in words. If I can achieve this only a fraction of the time, I know my girls will be forever impacted for the Kingdom of Christ. The song is Hosanna and this is my hearts desire...

"Heal my heart and make it clean,
Open up my eyes to the things unseen.
Show me how to love like you have loved me.
Break my heart for what breaks yours,
Everything I am for your Kingdom's cause.
As I walk from Earth into Eternity"

http://youtu.be/AQGJdTpMUcU

Our adoption journey continues, as I mentioned before we are in a "holding" pattern:) We have several weeks before we expect to be "paper ready" and I sincerely believe this wait time is a "God-thing." We need this time to pray and discern our next step in this "radical walk." Please continue to pray for God's wisdom and provision in our adoption! For now, all I have to share are the little life moment's God uses to speak to me:) But really, it's these times that make the journey so significant.

Sara Kate enjoying daddy's birthday breakfast...
she ate the tops off of 3 sprinkle donuts
 & she totally did her hair herself today:)


 I do want to wish my sweet husband a very Happy Birthday! I'm so thankful we get to 'walk this road' together:) I hope this year is even better than the last! I love you...and only you know how much:) Also, I feel the need for a little disclaimer...I'm very aware of the "danger" associated with eating cake batter:) However, when it comes to something so delicious, I take into consideration the risk vs. benefit model and have determined the benefit far outweighs the risk! I've been eating it since I was a kiddo and wouldn't dare deprive my babies of something so wonderful! :) ENJOY! 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday, Dustin! And I love that song, too... just sang it on Sunday :) I'm always amazed by what my kids pick up on. We are all works in progress... you aren't the only one :) Thanks for the update on the adoption... expect a call from me soon :) love you guys!

    ReplyDelete