Monday, April 16, 2012

I have never kept a journal...

I have never kept a journal or a diary...and this is why! I'm terrible at it :) I get so busy and distracted and totally forget to update it. For those of you that have followed this journey from the beginning...I want to apologize for my lack of consistent communication. I would like to say I'll do better but I'm about to bring my THIRD child home...so realistically I know it's probably going to get worse :) (To my friends that keep a consistent blog with multiple kids, I'm envious and would love some time managment tips :))

So the last update was the night before court. Well, A LOT has happen since then so here's the short version....we were approved! Levi is officially our son and we get to pick him up on April 24th! Court was pretty intense but to be honest I think we were so prepared for the worse that it was easier than we expected! I must tell a story on Dustin...I know he'll be embarrassed but it made me so proud I have to share! He was asked in court about parenting and interaction with his family. He replied "I follow the teachings of Christ from the Bible in how I interact with everyone and let it guide how I raise my children and treat my wife." Keep in mind this was in an environment where we still aren't sure what they thought about our faith but it was certainly the topic we were asked the most about! I was so proud to stand beside him as he proclaimed his faith in Christ without fear. In the end, it all went well and the judge even smiled when she told Dustin, "Mr. Polk you will now have a son" (because he mentioned during questioning how excited he was to have another boy in the house.) :) I must mention, however, that while we are overjoyed at bringing Levi home in just under 3 weeks, we are very concerned for the other families that are still waiting for court dates in St. Petersburg. Please pray for them and that the current issues will be resolved ASAP and they can continue in the process to bringing home their children!

For the last trip, I will leave on April 21st. I say "I" because Dustin will not be able to make this trip. There are multiple reasons that played into this decision but mainly it was because we wanted Dustin to be able to spend some time at home when Levi gets home and we really couldn't swing it financially for us both to go. He is making a great sacrifice by staying home and I'm so thankful he will be here with the girls. (I'm already crying over leaving them again for so long!)  I'm grateful that Mawmaw (Dustin's mom) is coming to take care of him and her "precious" granddaughters while I'm away! The cool part is my mom and sister are going to get to come to St. Petersburg for a few days and help out with little Levi. I'm really looking forward to getting to visit with Courtney since she is now living in Bosnia and I'm so thankful that my mom and dad rearranged their trip to make this visit happen,  I am amazed and overwhelmed by how much our family have stood by us through this process and done everything they could to help (WAY above the normal family duty)! We are very blessed to be loved and supported so well by our family. Words can't even begin to express our gratitude and love in return....

Yes, I'm nervous about traveling for two weeks in Russia with a new toddler without my "Dust" but if you knew the WHOLE situation and how everything had to fall just right for him to HAVE to stay home you'd see this is obviously God's plan...and I think I know why. Dustin is my weakness :) I feel like I have grown so much in my faith over the years but the one area I always fail when I face a struggle is I immediately turn to Dustin for comfort and guidance instead of hitting my knees in prayer to the ONE that really can fix it! On this trip God has ensured He will be my number one (His rightful place) instead of Dustin because I can't just pick up the phone and call when I need to talk. I can't cry to Dustin when I have my momentary "freak out" I will have to truly rely on my God...the One I too often misplace on my list of confidante's. I'm actually looking forward (although a bit nervous) to the short adventure on my own. God has shown me time and again He is the one that will always be there and I know this will be no different! I'm sure this will be a great time of growth for me....but, of course, I would always appreciate prayer to help me get through it :)

I fly out April 21st. If all goes as planned I will get Levi on April 24th. We will be in St. Pete until May 2nd and then take a train to Moscow. We fly home on May 5th...I think Levi and I will actually land in Birmingham around 9:30 at night on May 5th...he will actually be home. I can't believe this time is approaching. Such a relief, joy, and elation it will be...please keep us covered in prayer until that moment. THEN IT WILL FINALLY BE DONE!

We are so thankful for all of your prayers....

Below are some pictures from our last trip...St. Pete and a 24 hr. layover in Paris. (If you want to laugh, HARD, ask us about our night in Paris! Seriously, they could make a movie about our French adventure :) ENJOY!

St. Petersburg- Church of the Spilled Blood

St. Petersburg- Frozen canal...it was COLD!

New Friends- celebrating after court!

On our door after court :)

Paris- Notre Dame

Paris- A really big tower :)

Paris- Eifle Tower

The Polk's in Paris-
all we had was a cell phone camera :)



1 comment:

  1. We will certainly be praying for you, your family and little Levi! Make sure we have Dustin's cell and email so that we can arrange some play time to keep the girls busy while you are away ;) Also, SKYPE us anytime, we might already be talking to St Pete!!! Dasvidanya! Paka!

    ReplyDelete